Storage Packing Tips for Moving
Moving homes is considered one of the most stressful events in life following death and divorce. And with 43 million Americans moving home every year that adds up to a heck of a lot of stress. There are alternatives though.
In a perfect world, all of us would have the financial wherewithal to hire a relocation company NYC to help make the move as stress free as possible by paying them to pack, load, and unload their possessions. However, even selecting a professional moving company can be a stressful experience. For example, is the company licensed, does it have good client feedback, can you trust the client feedback? These are all questions that weigh on our mind when selecting a mover for the wrong moving company will make your trip even more stressful. And given the physical stature of most movers, you are not going to want to start a fight with them once they have been contracted.
If you decide to save money and go it alone, the following tips should come in handy:
- Assemble all your packing supplies and accessories in advance. As well as the obvious things such as clean boxes of different size, don’t forget labels and markers, corrugated paper rolls, and styrofoam pellets.
- Buy strong tape at least 2 inches thick. Masking tape or cellophane tape is not strong enough to seal boxes properly.
- Use small boxes for heavy items and large boxes for light ones. For example, books may be small but can be very heavy. A large box filled with books is an invitation to a chiropractor.
- burnstein von seelen
- Don’t leave it to the last minute. Do a little every day starting weeks in advance.
- Pack in a logical manner, room by room. Pack the kitchen last as it is often used till the last moment.
- Proper labeling is a time saver. Color labels can make this task easier to organize. Give each box a number, contents, name of room into which it’s going, mark if its contents are fragile and which way is “Up,” and don’t put the label over the closure.
- Keep an inventory. It may take time but it will save you even more time. The more detailed the better.
- Plastic sheds are an excellent temporary storage location and can be disassembled and taken with you once emptied.
- You can never have too much cushioning and separation when packing fragile items.
- Do not exceed the maximum gross weight limit as printed on the box.
- Packing and storing computers is a complex subject that requires its own dedicated article.
This is only the start of your education for storage packing tips but it is a very good start. Stay tuned for more packing tips. If you realize along the way that you have too much stuff to move to another home, check out New Jersey self-storage.